1929

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Eugen Piwowarsky takes over the "Lehrstuhl und Institut für Allgemeine Metallkunde und das Gesamte Gießereiwesen der Eisen- und Nichteisenmetalle." [Chair and Institute of General Metallurgy and Comprehensive Foundry Science of Ferrous Metals and Nonferrous Metals].

1930

Setting up the "Foundry" branch of study

1932

Dedication of the casting laboratory. First foundry colloquium in Aachen.

1944

Due to war incidents, the institute is relocated, at first to Roetgen / Lammersdorf, to the Junker Werke, afterwards to the Concordia Hütte near Koblenz, eventually to the Bergakademie Clausthal.

1949-52

Construction of the institute building Intzestraße 5

1954

Call of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wilhelm Patterson to the "Department of Overall Comprehensive Foundry ScienceFounding"

1968

Setting up the area of teaching and research "Foundry Science", Prof. Dr.-Ing. Siegfried Engler

1970

Setting up the field of teaching and research "Moulding Materials and Foundry Machines", Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dietmar Boenisch

1978

Prof. Dr.-Ing. W. Patterson is given emeritus status.

1979

Call of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Peter R. Sahm as his successor.

1986

Formation of the "Aachener Centrum für Erstarrung und Schwerelosigkeit" (Aachen Center for Solidification in Space) - ACCESS e.V.

1988

Founding of the MAGMA GmbH as a spin-off for the marketing of the findings of "Numerical Simulation of Casting and Soldification Processes"

1992

Prof. Dr.-Ing. D. Boenisch is given emeritus status.

1996

Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Engler is given emeritus status.

1999

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. P. R. Sahm is given emeritus status and remains as the director of the institute until 2002.

2002

Call of Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andreas Bührig-Polaczek as the successor of Prof. Sahm.

2012

Establishment of the Heisenberg professorship "Corrosion and Corrosion Protection" represented by Prof. Dr.-Ing . Daniela Zander

Commemorative Publication

For further details on the historical background of the institute, please refer to the adjoining commemorative publication on the occasion of Eugen Piwowarsky's birthday.

Commemorative Publication